Seeking an experienced nonprofit communications professional to join a well-established not-for-profit credentialing organization, the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Our Director of Communications and Marketing will help develop and integrate messaging within our existing communications elements from print materials to website to social media strategy. In addition, NBCOT develops and delivers new programs, products and services—this position will have significant opportunity to help shape our messaging and stakeholder outreach.
The successful candidate will be a skilled communications professional with at least seven years of related experience. Proficiency in all aspects of public relations and a demonstrated familiarity with non-profit communications is required.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage and refine NBCOT’s “core” messages to ensure organizational consistency
- Develop communications strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact
- Maintain professional internal and external relationships that meet company core values
- Proactively establish and maintain effective working team relationships with all departments
- Oversee content and editorial calendar for communications elements for NBCOT’s website, social media, and email marketing
- Manage a staff of two program associates in the communications department
Qualifications/Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
- Strong understanding of customer and market dynamics and requirements
- Thorough understanding of branding principles and implementation
- Must be experienced in multimedia storytelling through use of video, animation, infographics
- Must have experience in graphic design and art direction
- Proven ability to design, develop and implement both strategic programs and supporting tactics
- Superior written and verbal communications skills, coupled with highly developed interpersonal skills
- Must be strong in copywriting for web, social, email, print and video.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in user interface design and development
- Must have strong analytical skills and the ability to think strategically
- Must be a team player and be able to interact with staff at all levels of the company
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task, set priorities within tight timelines and meet deadlines
- Ability to quickly grasp certification and business concepts and express them in clear language
- Bachelor’s degree followed by a minimum of seven years of professional services in marketing and communications role
Director of Marketing & Communications Interview Process
The following are the four steps we will follow to find and hire a new Director of Marketing and Communication for NBCOT. You will know within 3 days after each step whether you will be invited to move on to the next step or we have decided not to put your name forward.
- Phone Interview – 10-20 minutes getting to know you. Be prepared to “tell me about yourself.”
- Skills Exercise – Complete a three-step exercise in writing and communications. You will have up to the following Monday to complete this (you may ask for extra time if your schedule is pressed).
- Office Interview – Come into NBCOT to meet with NBCOT staff.
- Office Interview – Come into NBCOT to meet with the CEO, Paul Grace. Up to three candidates will be invited for this step.
NBCOT Office Culture and Benefits
NBCOT has been selected, via a survey of our staff benchmarked against other nonprofits, as a “Best Nonprofit for Work” by the Nonprofit Times for the past three years. It is in large part to a great company culture of collaboration matched with a genuine commitment to work-life balance set by our CEO, Paul Grace. We open at 9 am every day and close at 5 pm Monday through Thursday and 4 pm on Friday. Everyone is expected to get their work done in this time frame and be gone at closing time.
Everyone earns 22 paid time off (PTO) days each year.
In addition, we have 11 holidays each year including the last week in December when the whole office is closed.
NBCOT has a generous 401K program, short and long term disability, 100% coverage of employee’s health care premium (including dental) and a $50,000 life insurance policy.